[NatureNS] Shuttle and ISS

From: Sherman Williams <shermw@xcountry.tv>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 01:12:53 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-27-970059377
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

ISS and STS-118 SEEN TRAVELING TOGETHER ONLY SECONDS APART
Sunday evening my wife and I observed a very interesting pass of the =20
space station (ISS) and shuttle (STS-118) travelling one behind the =20
other. Although not very high above the Avonport horizon (no more =20
than 20 degrees at best), they were still an easy view to follow  as =20
they crossed the SW heading in line for Jupiter. We did not notice =20
much difference in brightness,, shining like two 1st magnitude stars, =20=

they sailed along in line about 4 or 5 degrees apart.   According to =20
the Heavens Above prediction, Endeavour (STS-118) would have been the =20=

one in front.  Both faded from view as each  encountered Earth's =20
shadow, just before reaching Jupiter's position.

Interesingly, via the internet, I had been watching segments of the =20
same pass near real-time through the NASA camera attached to the ISS =20
as it passed over central Australia (I could recognize the reddish =20
brown colour of the continent and could make out Queensland's, Cape =20
York Peninsula, and the Gulf of Carpentaria)  and then saw some of =20
the Pacific as they neared the BC coast just north of Vancouver =20
Island.  At that point (10 p.m. ADT) it swithced to show coverage =20
taken earlier in the day, just in time for Bev and me to go outside =20
and find our viewing spot and dark adapt.

Just before 10:09 p.m. they glided into view, first Endeavour then =20
ISS.  Approximately 1.5 min. later they entered the shadow in =20
sequence, separated by about 3 seconds.  As they entered Earth =20
shadow, they would have been near overhead in New York's sky. =20
According to an earlier announcement, the majority of the 10 folks =20
onboard the two craft would have been having a sleep period as we =20
watched them travel through our sky.  I have to say, it was a special =20=

bit of observing.

VIEW TOMORROW EVENING (Monday, Aug 20)
A higher pass is possible at an earlier time tomorrow evening =20
(Monday), beginning near 8:55 p.m. and reaching the peak at about =20
8:58 p.m. and lasting until about 9:00 p.m. The path is out of the =20
west, and across the southwest, maximum altitude reaching about half =20
way  up from the horizon (higher seen from Yarmouth, lower from =20
Sydney).   According to the Heavens Above predictions, the STS-118 =20
should lead the ISS by a few seconds. The pass is high enough so that =20=

the ISS should be the brighter of the two.

The track of this pass puts the two craft  passing overhead above the =20=

Atlantic just a few km south of Yarmouth (go to < http://www.heavens-=20
above.com/PassDetails.asp?=20
SatID=3D32008&lat=3D45.367&lng=3D-63.300&alt=3D23&loc=3DTruro&TZ=3DAST&Dat=
e=3D39314.99=20
87691667 > and click on GROUND TRACK). You get both the sky track =20
against the stars and a ground track beneath the craft.

If you want a prediction fitted closer to your location go to
< http://www.glinx.com/~sherm/iss_pass_schedule.htm > , choose a =20
place nearest you; when the schedule comes up click on HOME near the  =20=

top of page and it will take you to Heavens Above with the page set =20
for giving the ISS and STS-118 predictions for the place you chose =20
(look under the heading SATELLITES).  If you wish to get really =20
specific, you may edit your location under CONFIGURATION on the same =20
page.

Viewing via the NASA camera is at <
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/main/index.html > under =EF=BF=BC=

Hopefully we will have a clear sky.

   Sherman

Sherman Williams
shermw@xcountry.tv

On 19-Aug-07, at 5:59 PM, dowitcher wrote:

> found fifteen species of shorebirds today on the island,
>  about 60 species in all.
>  4 a. oystercatcher     yellow bellied flycatcher
>    olive sided flycatcher.
> 12 species of warblers.
>  windy and kind of fallish.
> cheersssssssssssssssssssssssss
>
> Murray R Newell
>   Cape Sable Island
>     Nova Scotia

--Apple-Mail-27-970059377

--Apple-Mail-28-970059377

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; "><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; =
margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; ">ISS and =
STS-118 SEEN TRAVELING TOGETHER ONLY SECONDS APART</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Sunday evening my wife and I observed a very =
interesting pass of the space station (ISS) and shuttle (STS-118) =
travelling one behind the other. Although not very high above the =
Avonport horizon (no more than 20 degrees at best), they were still an =
easy view to follow=A0 as they crossed the SW heading in line for =
Jupiter. We did not notice much difference in brightness,, shining like =
two 1st magnitude stars, they sailed along in line about 4 or 5 degrees =
apart.=A0 =A0According to the Heavens Above prediction, Endeavour =
(STS-118) would have been the one in front.=A0 Both faded from view as =
each=A0 encountered Earth's shadow, just before reaching Jupiter's =
position.=A0 =A0</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; =
margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; font: normal normal normal =
12px/normal Helvetica; min-height: 14px; "><BR></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Interesingly, via the internet, I had been watching =
segments of the same pass near real-time through the NASA camera =
attached to the ISS as it passed over central Australia (I could =
recognize the reddish brown colour of the continent and could make out =
Queensland's, Cape York Peninsula, and the Gulf of Carpentaria)=A0 and =
then saw some of the Pacific as they neared the BC coast just north of =
Vancouver Island.=A0 At that point (10 p.m. ADT) it swithced to show =
coverage taken earlier in the day, just in time for Bev and me to go =
outside and find our viewing spot and dark adapt.=A0=A0</DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><BR class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; ">Just before 10:09 p.m. they glided into view, first =
Endeavour then ISS.=A0 Approximately 1.5 min. later they entered the =
shadow in sequence, separated by about 3 seconds.=A0 As they entered =
Earth shadow, they would have been near overhead in New York's sky. =
According to an earlier announcement, the majority of the 10 folks =
onboard the two craft would have been having a sleep period as we =
watched them travel through our sky.=A0 I have to say, it was a special =
bit of observing.=A0</DIV><DIV style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: =
0px; margin-bottom: 0px; margin-left: 0px; "><BR