[NatureNS] Juncos and Flickers

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Mike McCall <mikemccall@xcountry.tv>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 14:38:38 -0300

I know that at this time of year  young birds is much in evidence
but I am astonished at the sheer numbers of young Juncos fluttering
about the garden,
barely under control.  The same applies to the (huskier) young
Flickers; five or six
of their white rumps take off for the woods almost every time I come
out of the house
and I have to navigate carefully down the drive to avoid them.
(Slight prevarication).

Seems like the same weather that has Valley farmers grinning from ear
to ear has been
beneficial for these avian species. Has anyone else noticed this?

By the way, anyone wishing to start a young Junco collection, do what
I did.
The score with the HaveaHart trap set to discourage red squirrels
from living here is:

		Red Squirrels	0

		Juncos		3	(all safely released)

Mike