[NatureNS] two moons

Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 13:25:54 -0300
From: Bob Lindsay <rhlindsay@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Good afternoon, everyone.

The important question to consider is ...

Was this email forwarded and forwarded repeatedly, like some are? If so,
it might have originated longer ago than you might imagine, meaning that
whatever grain of truth it contained referred to something that happened
a few years ago.

That's true in the case of the Mars email "hoax". It's been floating
around cyberspace for at least the past two years. While Mars could
never be as bright as the Moon, it became fairly bright back on October
30, 2005, and that's the date referred to in this email. A close
encounter also occurred on August 27, 2003.

In fact, since Mars' orbital period is 687 days (longer than Earth's
365.24 days), we can expect occasional (almost periodic) variations in
its brightness as its distance from Earth varies.

The NASA website has a complete explanation at:

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2005/07jul_marshoax.htm

If you want a way to detect and explain similar hoaxes, visit the
following website, and use it regularly to check out any messages whose
veracity you suspect:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBSearch.html

I entered the search string "Mars" and, sure enough, the entry about the
  "Mars spectacular" popped up, at:

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHackedHistory.shtml#mars

cheers,
Bob Lindsay