[NatureNS] Nova Scotian ivy question

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 09:34:40 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Stephen,            Aug 8, 2007
    This question puzzles me. I have assumed that the Ivy on buildings
in NS, especially older University buildings was English Ivy (_Hedera
helix_).  Just something I picked up from 'common knowledge' and perhaps
incorrect.

    At one time this Ivy was present on some Acadia U. buildings and I
suspect various Univ. buildings in Halifax. Is this Ivy something other
than _H. helix_ ?

    Decades ago I saw some growing in a woody very wet meadow swamp
(Kentville) but don't know offhand whether it has persisted. It is not
listed in Roland so presumably seldom escapes. Whatever it is.

Yt, Dave Webster, Kentville
.