[NatureNS] Weekend Birds and Notations of interest

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 01:19:32 +0000

I snuck away for the weekend for the Acadian Festival at Belliveau.  I was
made to promise that this would be a none birding weekend.  On the way I was
given permission to make a quick stop at Cape Sable Island to try again for
the black-crowned night herons and the oystercatchers.  Of interest was
almost being hit by a flying turkey as it flew down the middle of the street
in Barrington.  A first for me.  I have no idea where this bird came from.
When in Belliveau, I spoke to a gentleman who specified that he knew of at
least three people who were releasing turkeys into the wild regardless of
what DNR says, so maybe the bird came from one of those individuals.  There
was pea soup fog at Cape Sable Island, so I was unsuccessful in my quest,
but Patricia and I were able to see many of the shorebirds present,
including one whimbrel and a black-headed gull, which was at Daniel's Head.
A monarch was as the Hawk.

The Acadian Festival was great.  I had another opportunity to bird off of
the beach where the French memorial is at Major Point.  There I saw a ruddy
turnstone fly by and watched diving gannets and common terns.

Today the lumberjack competition was very late starting and we were somewhat
bored, so Pat said why not go birding somewheres.  I said, well I promised
that this would not be a bird watching weekend and she said it's okey.  So
we decided to drive up into Concessions.  It could have been a bad choice as
there we had our second close encounter.  We decided to walk the rail trail
there.  We parked and walked to the right hand side.  We were a short ways
in when Pat said something that I can't put on here and she jumped behind
me.  From a house off to the side of the trail came a pit bull with teeth
barred and growling loudly.  We did not move. The lady who owned the dog
called it, without the beast budging.  I yelled for her to come and get her
dog.  The woman did not come, and started walking back to her house.  I
yelled loudly for her to please come and get her dog.  At that she said he
is scared of people.  Could have fooled me and I do not trust pit bulls
regardless.  Anyhow, luckily at that point the dog went the other way and
went to the woman who took it in.  We both breathed sighs of relief.  So
beware if you are walking the tracks just before the Concessions sign of
this dog being there.  There was a plus side to the walk in that we went the
other side of the road and walked in a ways and found a multitude of
species.  Whoever is looking after that square please let me know the square
number and I will check the status of Magnolia Warbler.  I can put a casual
entry through if you like if this species has not already been confirmed
within the square.

On the way back home just before turning into Yarmouth, there was a northern
harrier.  Just after leaving Yarmouth and turning on to the 101, there was a
turkey vulture.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore