[NatureNS] Mustard White Butterfly

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:01:44 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Derek & All,            July 28, 2007
    I see both forms, depending upon season, near Kentville (North Alton
woodlot, woods north of Kentville, Palmeter Woods [meadow road] and
Cambridge woodlot; a fair description of where I am likely to be in the
Valley during leaf season) as the locally most abundant butterfly.

    This appears to be an interesting example of a once faltering insect
that has made a comeback thanks to an introduced plant. To judge from
the sometimes exuberent insect activity on introduced plants I suspect
there are many more such examples.

    All of these sites either have Cuckoo-Flower (_Cardamine pratensis_)
or this plant is present within a few hundred paces. So Mustard White,
on that basis, may be present throughout the range of _C. pratensis_; in
the Valley nearly to Digby Co, to Lunen. & Queens Cos via Route 12;
something to check for as opportunity arises.

    It would be interesting to  know if _C. pratensis_ is also present
at Mt. Uniacke.
Yt, DW, Kentville