[NatureNS] Birds - Odes - Leps

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:08:52 +0000

Yesterday I did some more atlassing in my Mush-A-Mush square and was pleased
to upgrade a number of species.  I was also surprised by numbers of one
particular species which is not common here at all.  In terms of leps and
odes, few were present yesterday.

I was happy to see that a young pileated woodpecker is just about ready to
fledge.  The female came in to feed the youngster.  I had blackburnian
warbler carrying food for young as well as black-throated green, .  A
rose-breasted grosbeak female was scolding and following us along.  The
species that was unexpected was Lincoln's sparrow.  We really do not see
many here in this area other than in migration.  I had one in a particular
location earlier in the year.  Today there were two adults and two young.  I
had an adult with one young in another location and yet in a third location
two adults and one young.  That makes nine total for this bird.  Today in
the area of Milton, out birding with Dorothy Poole, we confirmed another
youngster and an adult.  Dorothy had seen this young bird prior to today
also.

Milton was great for odes and leps today.  For leps we had dun skipper, red
admiral, European skipper, Northern crescent, tiger swallowtail, common
ringlet and one other that I photographed that needs id.  Odes were variable
dancer, powdered dancer, slaty skimmer, ebony jewelwing, Hudsonian
whiteface, River jewelwing, lancelet clubtail, and there were other larger
ones flying that would not stop long enough for id.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Hotmail gives you the control you need to help you keep your
e-mail private, safe and secure. See for yourself!
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA147