[NatureNS] Article on Molega Lake

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:11:00 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C7C6D9.34F51BB0

Fragile & endangered=20
Randall Knox is proud that he saved a parcel of his land around Molega =
Lake, but he still likes to chop down trees
By Bev Ware South Shore Bureau | 6:24 AM
July 15, 2007
Halfax Herald

Photos are in the website:=20
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotian

CENTURY-OLD stands of hemlock trees provide welcome shade from the 33 C =
heat. Rays of sun pass through the treetops, creating a hazy path from =
heaven to earth.

The needle-covered branches 24.5 metres above shimmer in a gentle breeze =
but as we lower our heads and look out across the forest, it is a sea of =
brown, not green, that greets the eye.

That's because the grey-winged moth has eaten their foliage. "Two or =
three years ago, this would be green," says Randall Knox, although he =
says the damage hasn't spread to the extent he had feared this time last =
year.

Mr. Knox donated the entire 14.6 hectares in which we stand to the Nova =
Scotia Nature Trust to be protected. The trust's Duncan Bayne tells him =
the damage isn't so bad here because this is a relatively healthy =
forest. And it's healthy because it's old and untouched.

The different types of trees and their varying heights help ward off =
pests, Mr. Bayne explains.=20

In newer forests, the trees are pretty much the same species and the =
same age, so when a pest such as the grey-winged moth decides to do =
damage, it goes right through the forest and kills all the trees in its =
path.

The variety of species found here on the Knox Conservation Lands on the =
shores of Molega Lake in Queens County "make the whole ecosystem so much =
more robust and resistant," says Mr. Bayne, who is land procurement =
co-ordinator with the provincial nature trust.

Mr. Knox, a third-generation forester, is beginning to look at these =
trees in a different way - but he isn't entirely a convert. He doesn't =
see himself as a naturalist and believes protection efforts must be =
balanced against economic benefits.

His father gave him this land to harvest. He looks around and with a =
glint in his eye says, "I wish I had a chainsaw in my hand. I'm not =
lying to you. It would please me no end to come in with a chainsaw and =
start cutting."

All his life he has seen the forest in an entirely different way from =
those working to save it.=20

"The trees on the land, to me, are more important than the ecosystem, =
the snakes, the plants that most of you are interested in," Mr. Knox =
says, gesturing to the nature trust workers and volunteers here to =
monitor what's going on.

With patient explanation from Mr. Bayne, he has gradually seen the value =
of these trees beyond how much they would fetch at the mill. "It has =
changed my perspective, I'll admit that." It took a couple of years of =
careful thought before he handed over the land and its endangered =
reptiles and flora for protection but now he says: "Maybe this was a =
better thing to do than I first realized. It will be a thing that will =
last forever."

The Knox Conservation Lands are unique because of their forest and =
flora. Southwest Nova Scotia is one of only two places in Canada where =
you can find Atlantic coastal plain flora; the only other spot is in the =
southern part of the Great Lakes, but by far the most are found here.

Of the 90 species that exist, 11 are endangered and found only in =
southwest Nova Scotia. Five are globally endangered with extinction. "So =
we have not just a provincial responsibility, a maritime responsibility =
and a national responsibility for the plants, we have a global =
responsibility for their protection," says Mr. Bayne.

The Molega Lake conservation lands are home to two rare species at risk. =
One is a plant and the other is a reptile. The red root plant, one of =
Canada's last-seen wildflowers, and the eastern ribbon snake are both =
endangered.=20

The red root is found only in the shores of freshwater lakes and bogs in =
southwest Nova Scotia and is plentiful here, while the snake is only =
found here and in southern Ontario.

Not only is the snake rare, it's also hard to find. Mr. Bayne and a =
couple of nature trust employees monitoring flora search for one on part =
of the shores of Molega Lake.=20

"The chances are not good," Mr. Bayne says as he starts out. "They're so =
unpredictable."

The snakes are small (46 centimetres at most) and quite thin, and they =
freeze and try to blend into their environment or hide under rocks. "We =
really have to plan our route of attack, then move incredibly quickly to =
catch one."

Perhaps it's the heat, but there is not a snake to be found this day.

Most endangered species in Nova Scotia are found on private land, which =
is why working with private landowners is so important. If not for =
people like Mr. Knox, this forest and the species that live here would =
be unprotected.=20

"Randall . . . sets a tremendous example for other landowners," Mr. =
Bayne says.

Less than 0.01 per cent of Nova Scotia forests are old-growth, he says. =
"There needs to be areas that are protected so that old-growth species =
can survive and live."=20

Most forests in Nova Scotia have been cut three or four times, and the =
trees are only 40 or 50 years old. But many of the trees here are more =
than 100 years old, some 200 and 300 years old, and the forest includes =
different types of trees that make up old-growth forests.

In the forest that surrounds us, hemlocks grow with yellow birch, ash, =
red spruce, oak and some beech. Old-growth forests aren't determined by =
age but by habitat, which can only come with time.=20

There must be an ecological process going on; a cycle that shows the =
forest is alive.

Trees in an old-growth forest are so ancient and huge they fall down, =
opening a spot for the sunlight to beam down and encourage seedlings to =
emerge. The old tree on the forest bed decays and creates and supports =
new life in the form of mosses, lichens and insects. Even the dead trees =
still left standing, called snags, are important because birds nest =
there and raptors use their bare branches to search for prey.

"This forest is moving definitely toward old-growth, but it's not =
old-growth yet," Mr. Bayne says. "In another hundred years it will well =
qualify as old-growth. It's an incredible place, it really is."=20

He looks around with excitement at the green living trees and the =
decaying, moss-coated trunks lying across our path.

Up ahead, the hemlocks thin and the path turns to green grass, opening =
up on to maple saplings and cranberries growing along the shores of =
Molega Lake.=20

A frog croaks at the disturbance. The only obvious sign of life is a =
dragonfly skimming across the edge of the silent water.

Mr. Bayne crouches down and takes a tiny white flower gently between his =
fingers. This too explains why these lands are so important. He is =
touching a lance-leaved violet, one of the rare species of coastal plain =
flora. To his right is red root, which looks just like thick blades of =
grass.

It's hard to see why these little plants wedged between pebbles and =
small rocks are important.

"They're part of an ecosystem," Mr. Bayne says.=20

"The more species you have, the more robust the habitats are." These =
little plants are indicators of the health of the ecosystem in southwest =
Nova Scotia.

"They tell us about the quality of our natural environment. If you lose =
them, you might not immediately notice the impact, but it tells you =
something is very, very wrong and if you don't notice, it's going to =
come around and hit you in the back of the head."

These plants are endangered for two reasons - they are only found here, =
and they are being damaged by humans.

They grow around the rocks in the relatively barren soil between the low =
and high water marks. Every year, the ice comes up, scours the water's =
edge and scrapes it back into the lake. There's little competition in =
this environment and the coastal-plain flora love it and thrive here, =
but they need that constant cycle of scouring to create these =
conditions.=20

Not all areas around Molega Lake have this seasonal rhythm. A slight =
ripple disturbs the surface of the lake as a welcome breeze picks up. =
The lake is peppered with innumerable islands created by rocks left =
behind when the glaciers receded.=20

While there are about 200 cottages on its shores, only one can be seen =
from here - and you have to look carefully to see it, as it is all but =
shielded from sight by the woods. Covenants ensure all cottages are =
built 30.5 metres from the shore.

Patti Green works with the nature trust to preserve the delicate flora =
that grow not far from these cottages. She'll be contacting many of =
these cottage owners later in the summer to explain the importance of =
the secret life that thrives just metres from their summer homes.

"The biggest thing landowners can do to protect this habitat is leave it =
in its natural state," she says. Even building little docks can disrupt =
life because they alter the water flow and stir up sediment.

Mr. Knox had intended to harvest this land; that's why his father gave =
it to him. But not anymore. His father certainly wasn't a naturalist, =
and Mr. Knox insists he isn't either.=20

As he walks back out of the woods toward his large Toyota truck, he says =
he still sees the almighty dollar when he looks around. But today he =
thinks he also sees more.=20

Now, he sees the future.

( bware@herald.ca)
------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C7C6D9.34F51BB0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Fragile &amp; endangered <BR>Randall Knox is =
proud that he=20
saved a parcel of his land around Molega Lake, but he still likes to =
chop down=20
trees<BR>By Bev Ware South Shore Bureau | 6:24 AM</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>July 15, 2007</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Halfax Herald</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Photos are in the website: </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/NovaScotian">http://www.thechron=
icleherald.ca/NovaScotian</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>CENTURY-OLD stands of hemlock trees provide =
welcome shade=20
from the 33 C heat. Rays of sun pass through the treetops, creating a =
hazy path=20
from heaven to earth.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The needle-covered branches 24.5 metres above =
shimmer in a=20
gentle breeze but as we lower our heads and look out across the forest, =
it is a=20
sea of brown, not green, that greets the eye.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>That=92s because the grey-winged moth has eaten =
their=20
foliage. "Two or three years ago, this would be green," says Randall =
Knox,=20
although he says the damage hasn=92t spread to the extent he had feared =
this time=20
last year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Mr. Knox donated the entire 14.6 hectares in =
which we=20
stand to the Nova Scotia Nature Trust to be protected. The trust=92s =
Duncan Bayne=20
tells him the damage isn=92t so bad here because this is a relatively =
healthy=20
forest. And it=92s healthy because it=92s old and =
untouched.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The different types of trees and their varying =
heights=20
help ward off pests, Mr. Bayne explains. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>In newer forests, the trees are pretty much the =
same=20
species and the same age, so when a pest such as the grey-winged moth =
decides to=20
do damage, it goes right through the forest and kills all the trees in =
its=20
path.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The variety of species found here on the Knox =
Conservation=20
Lands on the shores of Molega Lake in Queens County "make the whole =
ecosystem so=20
much more robust and resistant," says Mr. Bayne, who is land procurement =

co-ordinator with the provincial nature trust.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Mr. Knox, a third-generation forester, is =
beginning to=20
look at these trees in a different way =97 but he isn=92t entirely a =
convert. He=20
doesn=92t see himself as a naturalist and believes protection efforts =
must be=20
balanced against economic benefits.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>His father gave him this land to harvest. He =
looks around=20
and with a glint in his eye says, "I wish I had a chainsaw in my hand. =
I=92m not=20
lying to you. It would please me no end to come in with a chainsaw and =
start=20
cutting."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>All his life he has seen the forest in an =
entirely=20
different way from those working to save it. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>"The trees on the land, to me, are more =
important than the=20
ecosystem, the snakes, the plants that most of you are interested in," =
Mr. Knox=20
says, gesturing to the nature trust workers and volunteers here to =
monitor=20
what=92s going on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>With patient explanation from Mr. Bayne, he has =
gradually=20
seen the value of these trees beyond how much they would fetch at the =
mill. "It=20
has changed my perspective, I=92ll admit that." It took a couple of =
years of=20
careful thought before he handed over the land and its endangered =
reptiles and=20
flora for protection but now he says: "Maybe this was a better thing to =
do than=20
I first realized. It will be a thing that will last =
forever."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The Knox Conservation Lands are unique because =
of their=20
forest and flora. Southwest Nova Scotia is one of only two places in =
Canada=20
where you can find Atlantic coastal plain flora; the only other spot is =
in the=20
southern part of the Great Lakes, but by far the most are found=20
here.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Of the 90 species that exist, 11 are endangered =
and found=20
only in southwest Nova Scotia. Five are globally endangered with =
extinction. "So=20
we have not just a provincial responsibility, a maritime responsibility =
and a=20
national responsibility for the plants, we have a global responsibility =
for=20
their protection," says Mr. Bayne.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The Molega Lake conservation lands are home to =
two rare=20
species at risk. One is a plant and the other is a reptile. The red root =
plant,=20
one of Canada=92s last-seen wildflowers, and the eastern ribbon snake =
are both=20
endangered. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The red root is found only in the shores of =
freshwater=20
lakes and bogs in southwest Nova Scotia and is plentiful here, while the =
snake=20
is only found here and in southern Ontario.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<DIV><BR>Not only is the snake rare, it=92s also hard to find. Mr. Bayne =
and a=20
couple of nature trust employees monitoring flora search for one on part =
of the=20
shores of Molega Lake. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The chances are not good," Mr. Bayne says as he starts out. =
"They=92re so=20
unpredictable."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The snakes are small (46 centimetres at most) and quite thin, and =
they=20
freeze and try to blend into their environment or hide under rocks. "We =
really=20
have to plan our route of attack, then move incredibly quickly to catch=20
one."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Perhaps it=92s the heat, but there is not a snake to be found this =
day.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most endangered species in Nova Scotia are found on private land, =
which is=20
why working with private landowners is so important. If not for people =
like Mr.=20
Knox, this forest and the species that live here would be unprotected. =
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Randall . . . sets a tremendous example for other landowners," Mr. =
Bayne=20
says.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Less than 0.01 per cent of Nova Scotia forests are old-growth, he =
says.=20
"There needs to be areas that are protected so that old-growth species =
can=20
survive and live." </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Most forests in Nova Scotia have been cut three or four times, and =
the=20
trees are only 40 or 50 years old. But many of the trees here are more =
than 100=20
years old, some 200 and 300 years old, and the forest includes different =
types=20
of trees that make up old-growth forests.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>In the forest that surrounds us, hemlocks grow with yellow birch, =
ash, red=20
spruce, oak and some beech. Old-growth forests aren=92t determined by =
age but by=20
habitat, which can only come with time. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There must be an ecological process going on; a cycle that shows =
the forest=20
is alive.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Trees in an old-growth forest are so ancient and huge they fall =
down,=20
opening a spot for the sunlight to beam down and encourage seedlings to =
emerge.=20
The old tree on the forest bed decays and creates and supports new life =
in the=20
form of mosses, lichens and insects. Even the dead trees still left =
standing,=20
called snags, are important because birds nest there and raptors use =
their bare=20
branches to search for prey.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"This forest is moving definitely toward old-growth, but it=92s not =

old-growth yet," Mr. Bayne says. "In another hundred years it will well =
qualify=20
as old-growth. It=92s an incredible place, it really is." </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>He looks around with excitement at the green living trees and the =
decaying,=20
moss-coated trunks lying across our path.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Up ahead, the hemlocks thin and the path turns to green grass, =
opening up=20
on to maple saplings and cranberries growing along the shores of Molega =
Lake.=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A frog croaks at the disturbance. The only obvious sign of life is =
a=20
dragonfly skimming across the edge of the silent water.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mr. Bayne crouches down and takes a tiny white flower gently =
between his=20
fingers. This too explains why these lands are so important. He is =
touching a=20
lance-leaved violet, one of the rare species of coastal plain flora. To =
his=20
right is red root, which looks just like thick blades of grass.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It=92s hard to see why these little plants wedged between pebbles =
and small=20
rocks are important.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"They=92re part of an ecosystem," Mr. Bayne says. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The more species you have, the more robust the habitats are." =
These little=20
plants are indicators of the health of the ecosystem in southwest Nova=20
Scotia.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"They tell us about the quality of our natural environment. If you =
lose=20
them, you might not immediately notice the impact, but it tells you =
something is=20
very, very wrong and if you don=92t notice, it=92s going to come around =
and hit you=20
in the back of the head."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>These plants are endangered for two reasons =97 they are only found =
here, and=20
they are being damaged by humans.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>They grow around the rocks in the relatively barren soil between =
the low=20
and high water marks. Every year, the ice comes up, scours the water=92s =
edge and=20
scrapes it back into the lake. There=92s little competition in this =
environment=20
and the coastal-plain flora love it and thrive here, but they need that =
constant=20
cycle of scouring to create these conditions. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Not all areas around Molega Lake have this seasonal rhythm. A =
slight ripple=20
disturbs the surface of the lake as a welcome breeze picks up. The lake =
is=20
peppered with innumerable islands created by rocks left behind when the =
glaciers=20
receded. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>While there are about 200 cottages on its shores, only one can be =
seen from=20
here =97 and you have to look carefully to see it, as it is all but =
shielded from=20
sight by the woods. Covenants ensure all cottages are built 30.5 metres =
from the=20
shore.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Patti Green works with the nature trust to preserve the delicate =
flora that=20
grow not far from these cottages. She=92ll be contacting many of these =
cottage=20
owners later in the summer to explain the importance of the secret life =
that=20
thrives just metres from their summer homes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"The biggest thing landowners can do to protect this habitat is =
leave it in=20
its natural state," she says. Even building little docks can disrupt =
life=20
because they alter the water flow and stir up sediment.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mr. Knox had intended to harvest this land; that=92s why his father =
gave it=20
to him. But not anymore. His father certainly wasn=92t a naturalist, and =
Mr. Knox=20
insists he isn=92t either. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As he walks back out of the woods toward his large Toyota truck, he =
says he=20
still sees the almighty dollar when he looks around. But today he thinks =
he also=20
sees more. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Now, he sees the future.</DIV>