[NatureNS] Western Reef Heron

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 15:53:42 -0300

Joan, I think it is quite possible that this is the same bird that summered
in NS last year.  It doesn't seem possible that the first North American
record from Nantucket would still be alive, so this may be the second bird
to make it across the Atlantic.  This bird may indeed summer in Brooklyn.
It seems late for northward migration back to the maritimes, and early for
southward migration.  I don't think northward dispersal even comes into play
with this bird.

It was feeding with a Snowy Egret yesterday, and I wonder if they might be
paired.  There is some literature alluding to Little Egret and Western Reef
Heron being conspecific, and I believe there is a record of Snowy/Little
Egret hybrids.  Could be interesting if someone is able to prove  they are a
pair.

Cliff Miles
Mountain Lakes, NJ
clifford.a.miles@usda.gov