[NatureNS] Jeannie's baby spiders, was New moths for me

Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:55:42 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_qYWsIDrL1lkBvj+QmNE8FA)

Jeannie, your baby spiders are almost certainly CROSS SPIDERS, alias Garden
Spiders, Araneus diadematus, in the orb-weaving family, Araneidae; Cross
Spiders are the most frequent and ubiquitous spiders around the outside of
houses and in residential gardens.  The name cross spider comes from the
white markings on the dorsal part of the abdomen; these markings usually ar=
in the pattern of a cross.

The babies soon disperse, partly to get away from their siblings which woul=
eventually eat themselves, and they use individual gossamer threads of silk
to waft away on the slightest movement of air, then become part of the
aerial plankton and travel who knows how far, before coming down some other
place by chance.=20

You all will recall my advertising of the Golden Guide to Spiders and Their
Kin, which can either be found in bookstores or ordered there.  It is an
excellent introduction to the arachnids.  Also useful is the Audubon Societ=
Field Guide to Insects and Spiders, which has photos and good information o=
many of our common spider groups as a bonus to all of its great insect lore
and photos.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville