[NatureNS] FW: [Ontbirds]Southbound Least Sandpiper - Holland Landing - females first!

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:19:16 -0300

<DIV>
<P>Hello all,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; Here is some more information on differences in migration times&nbsp;between males and females.&nbsp; This note from Jean Irons and Ron Pittaway to ONTBIRDS&nbsp;will be of interest to all NS birders and remind us that phalaropes are not hte only shorebirds where males do most of the raising of the young.&nbsp; Jean was involved in the shorebird research on the Belcher Islands in James Bay last year.<BR><BR>&nbsp;&nbsp; Also note the detailed location information, requested for all ONTBIRDS reports.&nbsp; It would be great if all of ours were at least half as precise as to location!</P><BR>
<DIV>Wayne Neily <BR>Tremont, Nova Scotia <BR><BR>"In nature's infinite book of secrecy <BR>A little I can read." - William Shakespeare, 1607. <BR><BR></DIV><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<DIV>
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
</DIV>
<DIV>From: <I>Jean Iron &lt;jeaniron@sympatico.ca&gt;</I><BR>To: <I>ontbirds@hwcn.org</I><BR>Subject: <I>[Ontbirds]Southbound Least Sandpiper - Holland Landing</I><BR>Date: <I>Fri, 22 Jun 2007 17:24:47 -0400</I><BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp; This morning at the Holland Landing Sewage Lagoons I saw a single southbound adult Least Sandpiper - my first of the fall migration. It was on mud at the south end of the fourth lagoon. The second and fourth lagoons are lower than the other two and should be good shorebird habitat this summer as the water evaporates. I went there looking for Least Sandpiper and Lesser Yellowlegs - both are expected about now returning from their breeding grounds in northern Ontario. This Least Sandpiper was probably a female because female Leasts depart the breeding grounds soon after the chicks hatch leaving the males to raise the young. When the juveniles are grown in about three weeks, the males will head south. So we get three waves of Least Sandpipers: adult females, adult males, and the juveniles come last. Most shorebirds follow a similar pattern, but of course there are exceptions
such as the Pectoral Sandpiper with males arriving first in southern Ontario starting in mid-July.<BR><BR>These first arriving shorebirds have long intrigued me. Many authorities say they're failed breeders and I said they "may be" in a shorebird article in 1999 in OFO News. However, I now believe that most early arrivals are just regular migrants that have completed their normal breeding duties. I say this because arrival dates of many common shorebird species are fairly consistent every year.<BR><BR>I expect the first Lesser Yellowlegs will be reported this weekend and the first Solitary Sandpipers and Short-billed Dowitchers will be here in early July.<BR><BR>Directions: About 50 km north of Toronto. From Highway 401 go north on 404 to Green Lane (last exit). Go west on Green Lane to 6th traffic light. Turn right on Yonge St. and go about 1 km and exit to Holland Landing Road. Follow
winding road (no turns) through Holland Landing for 5.6 km. Turn right on Cedar St. to lagoons. If you get to Queensville Side Road you've gone about 1 km past Cedar St. Do not block gate. Also do not climb the new gate. Last year the old gate was broken off its hinges because people climbed it. Go to small opening at left of fence to old road. Walk 15 steps to orange stake. Walk short distance past large white pine to lagoon road. Wear long pants because of poison ivy. Last summer I met York Region staff at the lagoons several times. They were always friendly and even looked through the scope. Our good behaviour will ensure access continues.<BR><BR>Ron Pittaway<BR>Minden and Toronto ON<BR>jeaniron@sympatico.ca<BR><BR>_______________________________________________<BR>ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization.<BR>Send bird reports to