[NatureNS] Re: Why do male hummers...

From: <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 11:41:11 -0400

Although this does not negate the intent of Peter's question, it is important to point out that male hummingbirds leave NS considerably earlier than females. In general terms males have left by August 15, most females & imms. leave in early September. Although known by most birders, it is well illustrated at the site in the Gaspereau Valley where a person maintains a massive feeding station for perhaps 150 hummers. Visits there ~ Aug. 20 will yield very few males.
Angus