[NatureNS] Birds today.

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:17:24 +0000

I went out to try and do some more point counts for the Breeding Bird Atlas
today.   I only had time to do two point counts as one was off road and I
had to walk a long distance to get to the point.  Anyhow, not a bad day with
a little over 40 species.  The best birds were probably a number of
Blackburnian Warblers and a broad-winged hawk.  I also was checking under a
bridge for a possible phoebe nest at a location where a male had been
singing earlier in the year.  No luck with the phoebe, but as I got back
into the car I noted a female pileated woodpecker on top of a telephone
pole.  As I watched she flew across the road and perched beside two holes in
a dead tree.  I held my breath hoping that maybe I had located a nest site
for this species.  After looking around she went into the hole and did not
come out, so I assume egg incubation is taking place.  I'm going to look
forward to future monitoring of that location.

In Upper Northfield I watched an adult song sparrow feeding a youngster.
Two separate robin broods were with adults.  Two young with one and three
with another.  There is a barn swallow nest there also with three young soon
to fledge and a new American robins nest.  Also, evening grosbeaks and lots
of other species including five adult killdeer.  A Wilson's snipe was
winnowing.  The property owner saw it perched on a post, but I did not
actually see the bird.  A catbird was singing like a bubbly robin from atop
a tree.  A great location and a good day on the whole to be out and about.
I'll send a partial lep and ode list later once I check over my photos.

Sincerely,

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Hotmail. Even hotter than before. Get a better look now.
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA148