[NatureNS] re "Sorbaria" hybrid trees in Wolfville

Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:00:05 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim & All,                June 24, 2007
    When all else fails, consult the manual; Gray's Manual in this case.

    _Sorbaria sorbifolia_ is a distinct species, introduced from Central
Asia.

    Some hybrids between _Sorbus_ and _Aronia_ are called _Sorbaronia_,
other hybrids X _Pyrus_ sp depending upon state of the 'Genera' at the
time. There are apparently many such hybrids; e.g. _Sorbus americana_
with _Aronia floribunda_ to yield  _Sorbaronia jackii_ and with _Aronia
melanocarpa_ to yield _Sorbaronia sorbifolia_ and so on......

    These hybrids between 'Genera' are less remarkable if one follows
Fernald and lumps them all (_Malus_, _Aronia_ and _Sorbus_) into _Pyrus_.

Yt, DW, Kentville