[NatureNS] Spring Count and lifers at Black Rock

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:35:55 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Anna,

Thanks for data, it will be entered, but is your Black Rock the one in Kings
County?

You can leave feeders up year round but keep them clean.  Birds are always
appreciative of a little help.

Charles Darwin answered the question you asked about plumage since evolution
of species is simply a matter of continuing to do what has worked in the
past.  Garish plumage tends to attract partners for males but also predators
whereas camouflage plumage works best for females that sit on the nest.  If
a male also attends the nest then garish plumage is a bad idea since it
shows predators where the nest is located.

Binoculars are best chosen by going to a store and specifying a price range.
The clerk lays out several pairs and you try them on targets inside and
outside the store until your satisfied.  Look for 7 X 42 or 8 X 40.

Hans

 Message -----