[NatureNS] Conquerall Bank Bird Outing

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: suzanneborkowski@yahoo.ca, naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 00:50:38 +0000

I'm late getting a review of the outing online, but I've had a lot on the
table since I ran the field trip on June 9.

The day was overcast and cool, but the company was good.  Ten hearty souls
met me at the designated location and we waited the allotted 15 minutes.
Noticeable was a lack of birds at the meeting location, when there are
usually many.  We did hear a northern waterthrush at one spot where one is
always vocalizing, but as usual well out of sight and we saw a few other
species nearby.  Overall, birds were hard to get out and numbers of warbler
species usually seen were far lower than normal in both species and numbers
along Fitch and Dagley Road.  We had our work cut out for us to find birds.
Even a trip out to Crescent Beach produced little.  We ended the day with a
short jaunt in along two roads that border Brown Branch Brook.  It was far
quieter than it had been the day before when birds were both vocal and quite
plentiful along the brook.  We still ended the day with 44 species, which is
about 20-30 species below the norm for this route.   Eastern Wood Pewees
were very co-operative. The following is a list of birds on the field trip
this year.

5 mallards
10 ruffed grouse
1 common loon
1 double-crested cormorant
1 herring gull
1 common tern
1 mourning dove
1 common nighthawk
1 belted kingfisher
1 downy woodpecker
1 hairy woodpecker
5 Eastern Wood Pewees
1 Alder Flycatcher
1 Least Flycatcher
1 Blue-headed Vireo
9 Red-eyed Vireo
4 Blue Jays
3 American Crows
1 Common Raven
1 Tree Swallow
5 Black-capped Chickadees
2 Hermit Thrushes
5 American Robins
4 European Starlings
3 Northern Parula
2 Yellow Warbler
3 Chestnut-sided Warbler (Territorial Despute of two males over a female)
3 Yellow-rumped Warbler
6 Black-throated Green Warbler
1 Blackburnian Warbler
2 Palm Warbler
5 Black & White Warbler
3 American Redstart
8 Ovenbirds
1 Northern Waterthrush
1 Common Yellowthroat
2 Song Sparrows
1 Whitethroated Sparrow
1 Dark-eyed Junco
1 Red-winged Blackbird
2 Common Grackles
4 American Goldfinch
There were also Willets and Common Eiders

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

See Fireworks On Live Image Search
http://search.live.com/images/results.aspx?q=Fireworks&mkt=en-ca&FORM=SERNEP