[NatureNS] Breeding Bird Survey Route Peggy's Cove

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 21:21:21 +0000

I did my survey today for Peggy's Cove.  I started at 05:30 with a
temperature of +7, with fog and four layers of clothing.  At one point I
could see my breath.  I finished at 13:53 and the temperature had gone up to
23.  It is unbelievable the amount of traffic in that area between 05:30 and
07:00.  Last year I had over a thousand cars go by while running the route.
It was not as bad this year, but still aggrevating.  I found a big
difference in the amount of bird species and especially in the numbers and
species of warblers present.  Warblers were very scarce.  Of note:  There
were Canada Geese with young along that section just before Peggy's Cove and
another group along St. Margarets Bay further along the shore.  I also had a
hermit thrush collecting food for young.  I have the gps co-ordinates if the
person who is atlasing in that area does not have confirmation on either of
those species, or I can enter a casual sighting card if you would like.  Let
me know which you would like if appropriate.

I stopped at Lewis Lake to eat my lunch before heading home.  DNR is doing a
lot there with the toiilets and upgrade of the road.  Anyhow, I was lucky to
get close looks at the male and female Canada Warbler.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Hotmail, with safety bar colour coding, helps identify
suspicious mail before it takes your daughter out on a date. Upgrade today
for a better look. www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA152