[NatureNS] Message from Suzanne Borksowski

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:37:47 -0300

This is a worthwhile cause - and may be of interest to
some of you.

Cheers;
Suzanne Borkowski
President
Nova Scotia Bird Society

From: jessi@wcwcvictoria.org
To: nsbs@chebucto.ca
Subject: BC's old-growth needs your email or letter now!

Hello Suzanne,

Currently we are in the most important period in B.C&rsquo;s
history in terms of protecting our old-growth forests.
It would be great if you could help save what's left of B.C's
ancient forests by writing a letter (even if you've written in the
past) to B.C&rsquo;s premier as soon as you can, letting the BC
government know if you wish them to establish a short timeline to
stop old-growth logging on Vancouver Island and the South Western
mainland. And, if possible, it would be even better to have your
supporters write their own letters as well.
Please read on for more info.; E-mail addresses and phone numbers
are at the bottom of this page in bold.

Thanks for your support,
Jessi Junkin & Ken Wu
Western Canada Wilderness Committee, Victoria chapter
----------------------

Old-Growth Decision needs YOUR Input!

Very soon, the British Columbia government will be announcing a
new coastal forest industry plan. The government has indicated
that the plan will entail shifting the timber industry away from
logging old-growth forests and instead into logging second-growth
forests. This is the first time the BC Liberal government has
recognized that we need to get away from logging the last
old-growth forests on our coast. However, so far they haven't
committed to fully ending old-growth logging in any particular
region, only general reductions, nor have they released any
timelines for the reductions.

Just as many governments around the world have announced a
timeline of targets to reduce and phase-out greenhouse gas
emissions from the burning of fossil fuels, the BC government
needs to establish a timeline of targets to reduce and quickly
end the logging of old-growth forests in places like Vancouver
Island and the Southwest Mainland where old-growth forests are
scarce.

Without any timelines and specific targets (ie. logging
reductions in hectares or in cubic meters or old-growth wood) -
that apply soon enough so that we'll still have productive
old-growth forests left on Vancouver Island and the Southwest
Mainland by the time the full transition to second-growth is
completed - the BC government's announcement will simply be a
public relations ploy.

WRITE and PHONE the BC Government and your MLA.
Politicians know that each letter or phone call they receive
represents hundreds of people who feel the same way but haven't
taken the time to write.

Simply let the BC government know whether you believe they
should:
- Be commended for recognizing the need to shift the logging
industry away from old-growth forests and instead into
second-growth forests.
- Completely end old-growth logging in regions of BC where
old-growth forests are scarce, such as on Vancouver Island and
the Southwest Mainland.
- Create a timeline to reduce and phase-out old-growth logging -
without specific, short-term timelines and targets, the
government announcement is merely a public relations ploy.
- Ensure that the second-growth forests are logged at a slower,
more sustainable rate of cut - not more quickly.
- Ban raw log exports from Crown and private lands, to ensure a
guaranteed log supply for BC mills and timber industry workers.

Write and Phone:
Premier Gordon Campbell
Email: premier@gov.bc.ca
Phone: (250) 387-1715 (Victoria)
and
Rich Coleman, Minister of Forests and Range
Email: rich.coleman.mla@leg.bc.ca
Phone: (250) 387-6240 (Victoria)

Also, if you live in BC, write to your our own BC Liberal or NDP
MLA (Member of the Legislative Assembly, ie. provincial
politician), who you can find by going to:
http://www.legis.gov.bc.ca/mla/3-1-1.htm

Be sure to always include your home mailing address on your email

and in your phone call to government, so they know you're a real
person.

Jessi Junkin
Campaign and Office Assistant
Western Canada Wilderness Committee