[NatureNS] Birding Experience Of A Lifetime

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 23:04:58 +0000

I had an unexpected thrill this evening.  Yesterday my feeders were totally
emptied by much bird activity and I had not had chance to fill them this
morning.  When I arrived home from work I noted 11 red crossbills trying to
get at what was left.  I started to fill my feeders and looked to see the
crossbills going to the feeders freshly filled.  They have a favourite
though and it is a nice wire mesh feeder that hangs.  When I went to fill
that feeder two crossbills were there.  I waited for them to finish feeding
not wishing to disturb them.  I then heard a flurry of wings and before I
knew it three crossbills were atop my scoop readily feeding less then a foot
in front of my eyes.  The next thing I knew two birds were perched on my
arm.  One remained there and continued to eat seeds dropped by the others in
the scoop.  When seeds were not present it would rach up and take a seed
from the scoop.  At one point I had five red crossbills perched on me.  One
adult was walking around my hat, one was on one arm another was going up the
arm of my sweater on the other side, one was going up my chest and another
was on my back.  What a thrill.  There were five young and six adults.  At
one point I watched an adult regurgitate food to a juvenile less than a foot
from my face.  An adult and a juvenile were on my arm at one point also.  I
guess the birds must have thought I was a tree as I was dressed all in black
with a blue cap.  Anyhow, a thrill indeed and to bad no one was around to
get a photo.  This is something like I have read about and saw pictures of
in Bird Watchers Digest, but never thought would happen to me.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore