[NatureNS] FW: Barred owls nesting at Aylesford

Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:29:10 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: mickandsally@xcountry.tv
Cc: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_CBTWzG73w1udPAqu00+BVA)

Sally and Mick O'Neill live at Ayleford, I believe.

Hi, Sally and Mick.  Sorry I didn't see this until today.  No, I think it
highly unlikely that your cats.  Barred owls are opportunists on almost
anything that is animal, but only up to the size of a robin or woodpecker
usually; animals they will eat include earthworms, beetles, fishes, frogs,
salamanders, snakes, various birds up to the sizes mentioned, and a variety
of small mammals up to squirrel size -- I don't know about larger mammals
like hares? or young groundhogs/woodchucks?  Ask Bernard Forsythe the next
time you see him, or phone him at 542-2427.  He and Mark Elderkin
collaborated on a very enlightening study of the owls and their prey in
nest-boxes back in the mid to late 1980s? (M.Sc. thesis at Acadia Biology
for Mark, who now works at Dept. of Nat. Resources in Kentville).

Cheers from Jim