[NatureNS] Some Birds on Some of the South Shore

From: "David&Jane Schlosberg" <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:45:23 -0300

Last weekend we were very fortunate to get a spur-of-the-moment tour of some
of the back acres of the Bayport Plant Farm in Bayport by the owner, Diana
Steele. It is full of exotic magnolias, rhododendrons, cypresses, and
cedars. There was a yellow rhodo in bloom that smelled like paperwhites.
Diana claims that this variety yields a honey that was responsible for
drugging enough of Alexander the Great's soldiers to cause a famous loss in
battle.

And we did see some birds: a Magnolia Warbler and an American Redstart.

At Cleveland Beach Park on St.Margaret's Bay we saw a common yellowthroat
pair and a lone surf scoter. This latter bird must be some kind of a
straggler since, from what we know, his kind should be way up north by now.

Dave&Jane Schlosberg