Bees: was Re: [NatureNS] mockingbird, merlins, blue jay nest, Irving Ctr. Bot. Gardens, red admiral, mountain ash & sorbaria?, white campion, no honey bees?

Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 22:58:36 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jim Wolford wrote:

>June 9, 2007 - WHITE CAMPION in bloom in Wolfville near home.  In the same
>spot a large group of flowering YELLOW ROCKET had NO HONEY BEES NOR OTHER
>BEES -- I only saw a couple of kinds of HOVER FLIES there.  There is a lot
>of concern right now about how honey bees (and bumble bees and other bees?)
>are doing in Nova Scotia, and I havenšt been looking lately.  Back in
>earlier Spring when the crocuses were in bloom, there seemed to be a lot of
>HONEY BEES then.

Hi Jim & All,                June 9, 2007
    I don't know about other places but there continue to be a normal
complement of bees (Honey and many wild species) in the yard this year.

    Friday (June 8, mid-afternoon)  the Strawberry patch (Vee Star;
planted 1988 [yes, cropping year 19 ! ] & crowded by huge willow but
still going strong) had more wild bees than I have ever noticed there,
on average at least 5/metre square.

Yt, Dw, Kentville