[NatureNS] White Cedar

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 14:12:41 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Recent messages about scarcity of cedar in N.S. made me curious about cedar
in N.B., since a few decades ago my grandfather made shingles and fencing
with cedar in his mill at Bartlett's Mills, Charlotte County, near the Maine
border. (The family homestead, built over 165 years ago, between 1840-45,
was sadly demolished just last summer.) I've asked my father in N.B. for
clarification and he writes:
    "Grampie's mill did occasionally produce cedar shingles for small custom
orders in the 1930's -- but it was not by any means the main box-mill
product.  I never heard of anything but cedar being used for making
shingles. Spruce was used mainly for making box shooks for herring boxes
and, as the market changed, for lobster boxes (when I was working in the
mills in the summers of the 1940's).  After that, the product made was apple
boxes and then for several years potato crates were manufactured for McCains
in Florenceville. These crates were used by McCains for shipping seed
potatoes to South America and the West Indies. After a another change in the
market demand, probably in the late '50's,  father switched to cedar
fencing, which was shipped to the US markets. This was produced by the mill
operation until the mills were sold. Cedar fencing is still being made at
the Mill out in the highway 127 adjacent to the Gilman's corner. Hughie's
mill is one of several cedar fencing mills that the new owners (SWP
Industries) operate in NB. SWP bought out both Marvin's and Hughie's mills.
Cedar has always been until recent years a very common tree in NB and ME.
Given the extensive cutting that has taken place in several years, the cedar
acreage undoubtedly has been reduced. I note too that the [naturens] article
talks about white cedar -- I don't know whether that is the species found in
NB. Maybe our species is red cedar."