[NatureNS] Bumblebees?

Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 22:47:21 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1403921==.ALT

Hi there,

         I haven't paid close attention to insects in the past, apart
from learning some of the butterflies and dragonflies, so I am
grateful for the fine photos by Angus MacLean and the comments by
David Webster and Chris Majka, and contributions by others on this
list, for making me pay more attention.

         I haven't seen any honeybees yet this year, but I have seen
a number of bumblebees, particularly on warm days.  What I
particularly noticed was how sluggish they were, and two at least
were dead.  I'm used to seeing sleepy bees on cool autumn mornings; |
often find them in my asters at that time of year.   I hope I am not
just biased by media reports, but I was struck by Jean's observations
below, similar to my own experiences.  Are bumblebees reported to be
suffering a decline this year as well as honeybees?

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

At 09:45 PM 05/06/2007, you wrote:
>         There seemed to be a few honey bees early in the spring when the
>crocus were in bloom, but now there are almost none to be seen. I have
>been watching my cherry trees, and a neighbour's Gravenstein apple tree,
>just loaded with blossoms, but it was nearly impossible to find a bee in its
>massive, old limbs and blanket of white blooms. Once in a great while I
>have seen the big  bumblebees, but I am not even seeing very many of
>them, and one even looked as though it was not well, flying weakly and
>erratically, not with its usual purpose. I keep looking at our
>flower beds, and
>other peoples' flower gardens, but there are no pollinators in them of any
>sort, except some ants crawling in the blooms sometimes. A recent report
>on CBC news said there were no bees in New Brunswick.   Jean in
>Wolfville

--=====================_1403921==.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I haven't
paid close attention to insects in the past, apart from learning some of
the butterflies and dragonflies, so I am grateful for the fine photos by
Angus MacLean and the comments by David Webster and Chris Majka, and
contributions by others on this list,  for making me pay more
attention.&nbsp; <br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>I haven't
seen any honeybees yet this year, but I have seen a number of bumblebees,
particularly on warm days.&nbsp; What I particularly noticed was how
sluggish they were, and two at least were dead.&nbsp; I'm used to seeing
sleepy bees on cool autumn mornings; | often find them in my asters at
that time of year.&nbsp;&nbsp; I  hope I am not just biased by media
reports, but I was struck by Jean's observations below, similar to my own
experiences.&nbsp; Are bumblebees reported to be suffering a decline this
year as well as honeybees?<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
At 09:45 PM 05/06/2007, you wrote:<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>There seemed to
be a few honey bees early in the spring when the <br>
crocus were in bloom, but now there are almost none to be seen. I have
been watching my cherry trees, and a neighbour's Gravenstein apple tree,
just loaded with blossoms, but it was nearly impossible to find a bee in
its <br>
massive, old limbs and blanket of white blooms. <b>Once in a great while
I <br>
have seen the big&nbsp; bumblebees, but I am not even seeing very many of
them, and one even looked as though it was not well, flying weakly and
erratically, not with its usual purpose.</b> I keep looking at our flower
beds, and <br>
other peoples' flower gardens, but there are no pollinators in them of
any <br>
sort, except some ants crawling in the blooms sometimes. A recent report
on CBC news said there were no bees in New Brunswick.&nbsp;&nbsp; Jean in
Wolfville</blockquote><br>