[NatureNS] re possible multiple Mute Swans in our area?

Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 17:02:25 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_oe0wMte5goWs2nTHkfivDg)

As I understand it, Mute Swans are dangerous alien species (impacting other
waterfowl among other problems), and need to be monitored for possible
breeding activity.  Please everyone let us know if there is evidence of more
than one of these possible escapees around and freely moving around.  There
is a feral/wild/established population along the eastern seaboard that has
been spreading from New York, but I don't know its current distribution.
Also I think there is another feral population in south-central Canada, but
again I don't know its distribution -- just southern Ontario?, e.g. Wye
Marsh?

Remember the breeding Mute Swams of the mouth of the Sackville River a few
years ago?  That never should have been allowed to happen at all -- we were
all asleep at the wheel, as were the federal authorities in that case.

Cheers from Jim in Wolfville