[NatureNS] Point Count and Atlasing today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 02:07:32 +0000

I finally got a good look at a northern waterthrush as one of my square
point count stops this morning.

Of interest in Upper Northfield was a grey catbird, immitating a bobolink
and also a rose-breasted grosbeak.  I didn't know what was going on or what
bird was vocalizing for a moment.  I was totally befundled for a short time
until I saw the singer.

I saw my first snapping turtles making out today.  I didn't know what was
going on for a minute or what I was seeing as the two turtles were on their
sides, and all I could see was claws and the underpart of shells.

Also, of interest, my first damsel flies for the year and a female
dot-tailed whiteface.

I'm afraid the outcome for the hooded mergansers at Upper Northfield was not
good.  The eggs hatched as per egg casings insided the nest box.  I suspect
that the snapping turtles directly in front of the nest box made fast work
of the hatchling ducklings.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Windows Live Hotmail, with safety bar colour coding, helps identify
suspicious mail before it takes your daughter out on a date. Upgrade today
for a better look. www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA152