[NatureNS] FW: PORT MOUTON BAY BIRDING

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 01:57:47 +0000

Hi all:

This is something of import that I am sending out as I know there are others
out there who can contribute valuable information to the cause in regards to
the birds in the area of Port Mouton and along that particular stretch of
coastline.  Thanks in advance to any help that you can give Gloria.

Sincerely,

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

>From: "Gloria Gilbert" <turtlevoice@ns.sympatico.ca>
>To: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
>Subject: PORT MOUTON BAY BIRDING
>Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 06:25:10 -0300
>
>Hello James
>
>In the communities surrounding Port Mouton Bay, opposition to expanded fish
>farming continues. We have some good oceanographic science that supports
>our concern for the environment and fishery. One area that has not been
>documented thoroughly is sea and shore birds.
>
>Can you and others with knowledge of these species help the cause? Clyde
>Fisher is a retired fisherman... he has a skiff and will take birders to
>Port Mouton Island and the smaller islands. We need to discover whether
>there are any roseate terns nesting in the Bay, and we know there are
>cormorants (which ones?) nesting on 2 of the islands... piping plovers have
>been seen at Summerville Beach... but it all needs to be documented by
>someone with good credentials and credibility. Can you help? (The plovers
>are under scrutiny by others... any species that feed in the inter-tidal
>zone are of interest, as well as diving birds.)
>
>This kind of evidence helps to define the cumulative risk in adding huge
>quantities of salmon farm waste to the Bay. If you visit our Friends of
>Port Mouton Bay website, you will see other aspects of our work. See:
>
>http://www.friendsofportmoutonbay.ca/
>
>All reports that we produce are being submitted to the Environmental
>Assessment process, coordinated through Transport Canada. In addition, we
>have sent specific reports directly to contacts in Provincial and Federal
>departments.
>
>Thanks for any assistance you can offer... also please share this request
>with other birders who may be able and willing to help.
>
>Thanks... I look forward to your response.
>Clyde Fisher's phone # is  683 2645
>Mine is 656 3376
>
>Gloria Gilbert
>A Friend of Port Mouton Bay

Windows Live Hotmail, with safety bar colour coding, helps identify
suspicious mail before it takes your daughter out on a date. Upgrade today
for a better look. www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA152