[NatureNS] Animals, birds and flora

From: "Heather Drope" <heather.drope@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 22:45:40 -0300

i have to say that the Cobequid mountains are a mass of Troat Lily.
Carpets of them.. However the hightlight of our day were the animals.
First a bald eagle soring not too high with the morning light reflecting off
it's wonderful white head, then a total of five deer in two fields. a ribbit
and a hare. The high light was coming out of the woods at the far end of
Angevine Lake, looking down a grassy road, across a growing in clear
cut and seeing a black bear, maybe one year old cub, high up in a poplar
tree. Some ATV's had gone down and turned around and maybe that
scared the bear.. Was this cub in a quandry.. He kept going higher in the
thinning tree until he was streached out on a branch... Took forever for
him/her to shimmy down to thicker trunk. Once he got there he was down
and gone quite quickly.. He was up the tree long enough for us to get out
cameras, take photos and then have a very good look with the binocs.
The birds in this area were plentiful but the only one we got a positve ID
on was an American redstart.  I saw a bird that was black and white, the
white coming from the chin area right down it's belly and around into the
collar. Very clear white. The yellow forehead threw me so have to have a
look in bird books tonight unless someone can give me a good guess.
All in all a great day and that's not counting the new Hepatica site we
were checking out for the finder of it.  Heather Drope