[NatureNS] Birds from yesterday and today

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 01:47:38 +0000

Yesterday I managed to escape out birding for about an hour and twenty
minutes to Conquerall Bank.  I was rewarded with 12 species of warblers.
These included:

Black-throated green 6
Northern Parula 5
American Redstart 1
Overnbird 6
Chestnut-sided warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 4
Wilson's Warbler 1 M
Black & White Warbler 4
Palm Warbler 2
Magnolia Warbler 1
Blackpoll Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1

Today, Dorothy Poole, Pat Gladman and I took a run to Belleisle Marsh.  On
the way we stopped at the Mickey Hill Pocket Wilderness.  This area was
hopping with warblers.  There were a lot of Blackburnians with 4 seen by me
and others calling.  There were also a lot of ovenbirds with many
territorial spats taking place.  Also of note there was a spotted sandpiper.

Belleisle was wonderful.  Just before the turn in to Belleisle, Dorothy
stopped to watch a field full of butterflies.  It was extremely lucky that
she did stop as a great horned owl adult was sitting close to the road with
a youngster next to it.  What a photo opt and we both left our cameras at
home.  Oh well.  Let me know if the atlaser from that area reads this and
records the bird as positive nesting in that square, otherwise I will send
it through as a casual observation.  That is if this species has not already
been confirmed at that level within the appropriate square.

At Belleisle as Richard reported there were many bobolinks, at least 18
yellow warblers, an alder flycatcher was vocalizing.  There were the
appropriate duck species that Richard reported and a pair of pied-billed
grebes.  We also saw Common Yellowthroats for five.  We obtained great
closeup looks of an American bittern twice.  Once it flew right up beside us
out of a drainage ditch.  Also of note one American coot, at least three
sora rails and a virginia rail.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

New Windows Live Hotmail is here. Upgrade for free and get a better look.
www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA150