[NatureNS] Fw: White-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow,

Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 14:45:45 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_DMgzQNGMPaiWwHw6TmJXpw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:44 PM
Subject: White-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher and Northern Cardinal

The White-crowned Sparrow remains at our place in Portuguese Cove.  I've posted two photos.

At 6AM I started a 3.5 Hour hike on the coastal tail to Pennant Point, Crystal Crescent Beach PP.  To my delight another Fox Sparrow is on territory, singing briskly, by the park gates.  This is the same location where I found one last year and the year before that, making four locations in total alongside the road this year, so far.  Another repeat performer is a Swamp Sparrow just 50 metres further along the road from the same gates singing in the same tree as last year and the year before that.  There is no way to prove that these are the same birds but the coincidence is compelling, and amazing.

For unknown reasons two pairs of Northern Gannets were flying south along the shoreline!  This did not appear to be a fishing venture but a determination to go south. Is there a colony nearby that I don't know about?

The biggest surprise of the morning was a female Northern Cardinal near the "enchanted forest", about half way to Pennant Point.  In seven years of birding this place and near to 200 species in this park it's my first cardinal here.

On my return leg alongside the road near the southern parking lot I spotted a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, my first of this year.

Thee were lots of finches, sparrows and warblers singing everywhere.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight76.html

When viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my website
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
Migration Count: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_DMgzQNGMPaiWwHw6TmJXpw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, May 23, 2007 2:44 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> White-crowned Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Yellow-bellied
Flycatcher and Northern Cardinal</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The White-crowned Sparrow remains at our place in
Portuguese Cove.&nbsp; I've posted two photos.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>At 6AM I started a 3.5 Hour hike on the coastal
tail to Pennant Point, Crystal Crescent Beach PP.&nbsp; To my delight another
Fox Sparrow is on territory, singing briskly, by the park gates.&nbsp; This is
the same location where I found one&nbsp;last year and the year before that,
making four locations in total alongside the road this year, so far.&nbsp;
Another repeat performer is a Swamp Sparrow just 50 metres further along the
road from the same gates singing in the same tree as last year and the year
before that.&nbsp; There is no way to prove that these are the same birds but
the coincidence is compelling, and amazing.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>For unknown reasons two pairs of Northern Gannets
were flying south along the shoreline!&nbsp; This did not appear to be a fishing
venture but a determination to go south. Is there a colony nearby that I don't
know about?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The biggest surprise of the morning was a female
Northern Cardinal near the "enchanted forest", about half way to Pennant
Point.&nbsp; In seven years of birding this place and near to 200 species in
this park it's my first cardinal here.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>On my return leg alongside the road near the
southern parking lot I spotted a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, my first of this
year.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Thee were lots of finches, sparrows and warblers
singing everywhere.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight76.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlight76.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>E-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>Migration
Count: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_DMgzQNGMPaiWwHw6TmJXpw)--