[NatureNS] Take time to check for ticks -- Lyme disease in dogs difficult to catch -- Herald, May 22/07

From: bev wigney <bev@magickcanoe.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:11:29 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-2--241172713
	delsp=yes;
	format=flowed

Regarding Lyme Disease in dogs, I'd just like to add that, even if
there have not been past reports of ticks carrying Lyme Disease in
your immmediate region, you should be on the lookout, as infected
ticks seem to be turning up all over these days.  We have been at our
farm here in eastern Ontario for 30 years and had never found a tick
of any kind on our dogs.  Last summer, we found a tick that had not
yet had time to become attached to our dog. This spring, we have
already had to remove two ticks and have sent them to the local
health unit for testing.  We also checked with our vet and were told
that all of the local vet clinics are reporting that owners are
finding ticks on their pets and there have been several cases of Lyme
Disease reported across the region.  Last year, when I enquired after
finding the first tick, I was told that there had been no Lyme
Disease reported locally.
In addition to watching for ticks, or using products that repel or
kill ticks, many of the local vets are advising that owners have
their dogs vaccinated with LymeVax, which is supposed to be about 90%
effective in preventing infection with the Borrelia organism.
Information provided on a the handout from our local clinic states:
Following the initial inoculation, a booster vaccine is required 2 to
4 weeks later.  The duration of immunity is 12 months, so annual
vaccination is necessary to provide continuous, uninterrupted
protection against infection.  Adult dogs require a Lyme disease
blood test before or at the time of immunization.

bev wigney
osgoode, ontario

==============================
Bev Wigney
Email:  bev@magickcanoe.com
Burning Silo blog: http://magickcanoe.com/blog
Online Photo Gallery:  http://www.pbase.com/crocodile
Magick Canoe website:  http://magickcanoe.com

--Apple-Mail-2--241172713

<HTML><BODY style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -khtml-nbsp-mode: space; =
-khtml-line-break: after-white-space; ">Regarding Lyme Disease in dogs, =
I'd just like to add that, even if there have not been past reports of =
ticks carrying Lyme Disease in your immmediate region, you should be on =
the lookout, as infected ticks seem to be turning up all over these =
days.=A0 We have been at our farm here in eastern Ontario for 30 years =
and had never found a tick of any kind on our dogs.=A0 Last summer, we =
found a tick that had not yet had time to become attached to our dog. =
This spring, we have already had to remove two ticks and have sent them =
to the local health unit for testing.=A0 We also checked with our vet =
and were told that all of the local vet clinics are reporting that =
owners are finding ticks on their pets and there have been several cases =
of Lyme Disease reported across the region.=A0 Last year, when I =
enquired after finding the first tick, I was told that there had been no =
Lyme Disease reported locally.=A0=A0<DIV>In addition to watching for =
ticks, or using products that repel or kill ticks, many of the local =
vets are advising that owners have their dogs vaccinated with=A0LymeVax, =
which is supposed to be about 90% effective in preventing infection with =
the Borrelia organism. Information provided on a the handout from our =
local clinic states:=A0 Following the initial inoculation, a booster =
vaccine is required 2 to 4 weeks later.=A0 The duration of immunity is =
12 months, so annual vaccination is necessary to provide continuous, =
uninterrupted protection against infection.=A0 Adult dogs require a Lyme =
disease blood test before or at the time of immunization.</DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><DIV>bev =
wigney</DIV><DIV><DIV>osgoode, ontario</DIV><DIV><BR><DIV> <SPAN =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; =
border-spacing: 0px 0px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Trebuchet MS; =
font-size: 12px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: =
normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: normal; text-align: auto; =
-khtml-text-decorations-in-effect: none; text-indent: 0px; =
-apple-text-size-adjust: auto; text-transform: none; orphans: 2; =
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; "><SPAN =
[...]
"><DIV>=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D</DIV><DIV>Bev Wigney</DIV><DIV>Email:=A0 <A =
href=3D"mailto:bev@magickcanoe.com">bev@magickcanoe.com</A></DIV><DIV>Burn=
ing Silo blog: <A =
href=3D"http://magickcanoe.com/blog">http://magickcanoe.com/blog</A></DIV>=
<DIV>Online<SPAN class=3D"Apple-converted-space">=A0</SPAN>Photo =
Gallery:=A0 <A =
href=3D"http://www.pbase.com/crocodile">http://www.pbase.com/crocodile</A>=
</DIV><DIV>Magick Canoe website:=A0 <A =
href=3D"http://magickcanoe.com">http://magickcanoe.com</A></DIV><DIV><BR =
class=3D"khtml-block-placeholder"></DIV><BR =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"></SPAN></SPAN></SPAN> =
</DIV><BR></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>=

--Apple-Mail-2--241172713--