[NatureNS] Spring birds in Bear River today

From: "Jean Timpa" <jtimpa@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ca
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 00:09:11 -0300

	While doing some gardening in Bear River this afternoon I heard
way down in the valley a cardinal whistling. Also seen or heard were Song,
Savannah and Chippping Sparrows, Purple Finch, Rose breasted
Grosbeaks, Tree Swallows, a Flicker, Downey and Hairy Woodpeckers,
several types of warblers which I could not see, one of the flycatchers was
also calling nearby repeatly, and a number of ravens were "groncking" off
in the distance.
	On the road between Bear River and Clementsvale there is in a
farm pond on the north side of the road a small island  which is quickly
shrinking because of all the rain! Clinging to it, is a goose on her nest, with
the gander nearby.  I cannot imagine that the bottom of the nest is not very
wet by now which certainly will not help the incubation process. Friends are
watching for the goslings. Geese have nested in this area for 5or 6 years
now, sometimes quitesucessfully. JET