[NatureNS] May 12 2007 Saturday afternoon Hartlen Point

Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:52:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paul MacDonald <paulrita2001@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Ulli
--- Ulli Hoeger <ullihoeger@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Nice day to be out.
>
> In one of the ponds somebody installed what looks
> like a nesting aid of some sort. A pole in the water
> had a roll of straw (1m x 30cm) mounted on it. Free
> standing ~1m above the water surface, with a premade
> cavity in it.  Just wondering who is supposed to
> move in? Merganser and other cavity nesting
> waterfowl come to mind... Anybody seen this kind of
> "nestbox" before?
These are used primarily by Mallards and is being
promoted by DU especially in the western Canada. Quite
predator resistant and the results have been good. I'm
not familiar enough with them to know if other species
will use them or not. They are often used as a nature
project for young folks groups.
Have a nice spring
Paul

____________________________________________________________________________________Choose the right car based on your needs.  Check out Yahoo! Autos new Car Finder tool.