FW: [NatureNS] re gaspereau and ospreys, was Barrington River

Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 01:48:08 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>

Yes, alewife is probably the better and more widely recognized common name,
but for only one of the two types of freshwater herring (shad is the 3rd
type), namely alewife and blueback herring -- all three are species of the
genus Alosa, I believe.  Perhaps "kiack" refers collectively to both
alewives/gaspereaux and blueback herring -- these two species are
superficially very similar in appearance.  Cheers from Jim