Lichens: was Re: [NatureNS] Lewis Lake nature notes, gov. announcement of new nature reserve (Blandford)

Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 12:51:34 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jim Wolford wrote:

>I was pleased to meet lichenologist Frances Anderson for the first time.
>She and Troy McMullin are working on a book on Nova Scotia lichens.
>
>Cheers from Jim in Wolfville, 542-9204

Hi Jim & All,            May 14, 2007
    Good to hear about this book.

    On the subject of lichens, I noticed a rich stand of various soil
lichens on May 1; in sparse vascular plant cover on the north-facing
fill of highway 101 and the on-ramp just west of the Elderkin 'Brook'
pipe (If farmers or foresters messed up a brook in this way they would
be in deep dirt. Meanwhile, DOT just keeps trucking.).

    Am wondering if road salt favours lichens here by supressing
vascular plants.
Yt, DW, Kentville