[NatureNS] re PEEPINGS IN DRY YARD?, was INDIGO BUNTINGS

Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 01:03:12 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Thanks, John, for lots more food for thought here.  Jim
----------
From: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 12:39:55 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: FW: re  PEEPINGS IN DRY YARD?, was INDIGO BUNTINGS

Hi Jim;
Thanks for this.
The Spring Peeper is one of our first frogs to emerge from hibernation. The
Wood Frog is earlier. Just as soon as the forest floor thaws you can hear
individuals peeping from under stones, logs, etc. in the woods.  Usually on
rainy nights they will migrate to the ponds, and usually you can see them
hopping across highways. The males tend to far outnumber the females.  At
first, when they arrive at the  edge of the pond,  the males stay secluded
and will peep during the evening from within grass hummocks etc., and are
difficult to find. As the season progresses [and especially on rainy nights]
the males become bold and sit about the shoreline and are easy to see.
Sometimes they will be vocal during the day.

 Unsuccessful males, and there seems to be a lot of them, slowly move back
to the forest as temperatures rise. You can see them at night peeping,
perched up on a variety of vegetation such as heath, young trees such as the
lower branches of spruce. (This is why I have difficulty accepting the fact
DNA places our Northern Spring Peeper with the genus Pseudacris or grassland
frogs. Our peeper behaves as a low bush treefrog,genus Hyla.) Males
unsuccessful in finding a mate will sometimes call from woodlands well into
June.

In the autumn when air temperatures are similar to spring it is not unusual
for one or more individuals to be vocal, particularly during those damp and
rainy nights in October. Actually, If I were to go through my notes (which
date back to about 1960) I'm sure I have heard individuals peeping in August
and as late as November?

Also, one should remember female Spring Peepers are gravid and ready to
spawn when they retire to hibernation (same for Wood Frogs and Leopard
Frogs). So, what can we expect from global warming??

I'm rambling on here. Hope this is helpful.

Sincerely
John

>>> Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> 5/9/2007 11:04 AM >>>
Pat and Barb and all, the peepings apparently from a tree in a dry yard in a
town, if from a spring peeper or our lone species of treefrog, would be
unusual for this time of year, since spring peepers in the Spring mostly
call from the edges of ponds of run-off water or from floating vegetation in
those ponds.  But in autumn, when spring peepers again call (why?), most
often they are away from water.  During much of their active period from
Spring to Autumn, they are above the ground in bushes and small trees.

Perhaps John Gilhen can expand on this?

Cheers from Jim