[NatureNS] FW: re PEEPINGS IN DRY YARD?, was INDIGO BUNTINGS

Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 11:04:18 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: John Gilhen <GILHENJA@gov.ns.ca>

Pat and Barb and all, the peepings apparently from a tree in a dry yard in a
town, if from a spring peeper or our lone species of treefrog, would be
unusual for this time of year, since spring peepers in the Spring mostly
call from the edges of ponds of run-off water or from floating vegetation in
those ponds.  But in autumn, when spring peepers again call (why?), most
often they are away from water.  During much of their active period from
Spring to Autumn, they are above the ground in bushes and small trees.

Perhaps John Gilhen can expand on this?

Cheers from Jim