FW: [NatureNS] FW: re displaying ruffed grouse, and robin mobbing barred owl

Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 22:40:36 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Jim & All,            May 7, 2007
    Probably no more surprised than I was. But behavior that one sees
only once in a lifetime rarely makes it into descriptions of typical
behavior, perhaps because the author, 15 years later, says (to
paraphrase Lester Pearson) 'did I really see what I thought I saw when I
saw it or did I not see what I thought I saw when I didn't see it ?' I
kick myself for not having made notes on the spot and memory
unfortunately can play tricks.

    Nest was no doubt an unfortunate choice of words. If the cock was in
fact attempting to draw me away, as I concluded from context, then it
was more likely with reference to the hen as opposed to young or nest.

    One additional wrinkle; this was in a area that is heavily hunted
for R Grouse, where R Grouse are normally wary at all seasons. This cock
was the opposite of wary.

    With respect to chickens, you should at least be eternally grateful
Jim that I did not write "chicken's".

    Word usage does change over time (e.g. marine used to mean of the
sea and now, apparently, it means too wet to plow) but my old detailed
Webster's Dictionary (2373 pp. of fine print) would suggest that
'chickens' is slightly more correct than 'chicks' with reference to
young Grouse at the running stage; Chicken: "...the young
of...gallinaceous birds..."; Chick: "...a young chicken, as still in the
egg or just come out of it".

    In barnyard usage, chicks huddle near the mother hen when there is a
scare; chickens scatter (especially when Chicken Little is a member).

Yt, DW, Kentville