[NatureNS] Rabbits and Birds

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 19:58:13 +0000

Last night Dorothy Poole and I accompanied Sylvia Fullerton on her owl
monitoring route.  I'll let Sylvia recap on the owls.  Anyhow, we saw the
most rabbits I've ever seen in one go while driving along one stretch of
road, seven in all.  There were also two porcupines.  I'll leave the birds
to Sylvia.

Today, I went out birding with David Walmark and two of his friends from
Ontario.  We went along my breeeding bird route for Big Mush-A-Mush/Little
Mush-A-Mush and which includes Wentzells Lake and Upper Northfield.  Close
to Wentzells Lake I had a Northern waterthrush singing on Territory.  Below
along the road the cuts across to Bruhms Bridge there were two black and
white warblers and a black-throated green warbler.  At the road that cuts
off on the way to New Germany at North River there was an Eastern phoebe
vocalizing high above the river near the road.  At Upper Northfield the
hooded merganser now has six eggs.  Time now to allow incubation and
hopefully the hatching of ducklings.  Also, the first active robins nest.
It was funny watching a tree swallow grab ahold of a long piece of grass and
trying to break it off, with the swallow going in a complete circle and
ending up letting go.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Fine Dining & Fancy Food. Check Out This Collection Of Good Eats.
http://local.live.com/?mkt=en-ca/?v=2&cid=A6D6BDB4586E357F!378