[NatureNS] Fw: Orchard Oriole, Field Sparrow and Snow Goose

Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 18:51:36 -0300
From: Hans Toom <Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca>
To: "Naturens@Chebucto.Ns.Ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_JrX2OkjNAXadV2BMO3sERw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Hans Toom
To: Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:50 PM
Subject: Orchard Oriole, Field Sparrow and Snow Goose

The Orchard Oriole and Field Sparrow were here at our place in Portuguese Cove all day today. The oriole is still skittish but perhaps less so than yesterday.  The sparrow visits the back deck railing but only briefly as it is likely finding most of what it needs in the nearby forest.

One of my hummingbird feeders does not have removable petals so I scratched my head as to how I could make this useful to the oriole.  As it happens this type of feeder has a moat around the barrel intended to deter ants, if the moat is filled with water.  It fails as ant trap because it dries out in a couple of hours during the mid summer ant infestation.  So I filled it with hummingbird nectar and sure enough it quickly became the oriole's favourite, a tip to consider when shopping for a hummingbird feeder.

Here's yet another oriole story.  I was barbequing this evening, not uncommon hereabouts on a Sunday evening, when I spotted the oriole in nearby bushes just sitting and watching.  It sat for 20 minutes until I finished barbequing and returned to the house and then promptly came to the self same nectar moat on the hummingbird feeder nearby the barbeque.

I've posted a few photos, the subject Orchard Oriole, Dartmouth's Snow Goose from this morning and a cooperative male Purple Finch at Portuguese Cove.

Hans

http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights45.html
When viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my website
Hans Toom
Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-mail: htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca
Migration Count: http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html
Nature Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_JrX2OkjNAXadV2BMO3sERw)

<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV style="FONT: 10pt arial">----- Original Message -----
<DIV style="BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; font-color: black"><B>From:</B> <A
title=Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca href="mailto:Htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">Hans Toom</A>
</DIV>
<DIV><B>To:</B> <A title=ns-rba@yahoogroups.com
href="mailto:Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com">Ns-Rba@Yahoogroups.Com</A> </DIV>
<DIV><B>Sent:</B> Sunday, May 06, 2007 6:50 PM</DIV>
<DIV><B>Subject:</B> Orchard Oriole, Field Sparrow and Snow Goose</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>The Orchard Oriole and Field Sparrow were here at
our place in Portuguese Cove all day today. The oriole is still skittish but
perhaps less so than yesterday.&nbsp; The sparrow visits the back deck railing
but only briefly as it is likely finding most of what it needs in the nearby
forest.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>One of my hummingbird feeders does not have
removable petals so I scratched my head as to how I could make this useful to
the oriole.&nbsp; As it happens this type of feeder has a moat around the barrel
intended to deter ants, if the moat is filled with water.&nbsp; It fails as ant
trap because it dries out in a couple of hours during the mid summer ant
infestation.&nbsp; So I filled it with hummingbird nectar and sure enough it
quickly became the oriole's favourite, a tip to consider when shopping for a
hummingbird feeder.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Here's yet another oriole story.&nbsp; I was
barbequing this evening, not uncommon hereabouts on a Sunday evening, when I
spotted the oriole in nearby bushes just sitting and watching.&nbsp; It sat for
20 minutes until I finished barbequing and returned&nbsp;to the house and
then&nbsp;promptly came to the self same nectar moat on the hummingbird feeder
nearby the barbeque.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I've posted a few photos, the subject Orchard
Oriole, Dartmouth's Snow Goose from this morning&nbsp;and a cooperative male
Purple Finch at Portuguese Cove.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Hans</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2><A
href="http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights45.html">http://www.hanstoom.com/Highlights/Highlights45.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial
viewing images tap F11 or View Full Screen and use the navigation buttons on my
Toom<BR>Portuguese Cove, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>E-mail: <A
href="mailto:htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca">htoom@hfx.eastlink.ca</A><BR>Migration
Count: <A
href="http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html">http://hanstoom.com/NAMC/Index.html</A><BR>Nature
Website: http://hanstoom.com

--Boundary_(ID_JrX2OkjNAXadV2BMO3sERw)--