[NatureNS] Upper Northfield outing

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 02:19:35 +0000

Today, Pat, Dorothy Poole and I had a wonderful outing to Upper Northfield.
It was a glorious day overlooking a ducks unlimited pond from the porch of a
wonderful lady.  There were roughly 80 tree swallows with some barn swallows
flying about.  Eight evening grosbeaks were only a few feet away with a
downy woodpecker and a hairy making an appearance.  There were a pair of
Canada Geese nest to the property on another pond which lies dead centre of
the lawn.  The owner says she wishes to discourage them from possibly
nesting as they are leaving many droppings about.  I'm hopefull that they do
nest as this will give confirmation of this species breeding within the
square.  Oh well whatever happens does and the lady does own the property so
whatever occurs is up to her descretion.  I'm happy to just have access to
such a wonderful spot.  Four male wood ducks are within sight.  Mallards and
black ducks also are about and purple finches, and American goldfinches.

A pair of killdeer were observed across the street and Dorothy and I were
lucky to see two Wilson's snipe as they scurried along in a wet slew when
walking out to the marsh area.  There are wood duck nest boxes on the
premises.  Out of one flew a female hooded merganser as we walked by.  I
checked quickly and a nest is complete and the first egg has been laid.  My
first confirmed nesting of this species within the square.   Ruby-crowned
kinglets are always calling as are yellow-rumped warblers.  Many other
species are also about this property once other migrants return and it is a
phenomenol spot for butterflies and dragonflies later in the summer.

I had two swamp sparrows singing today at Blockhouse and viewed these birds.
  In all a nice day to be out and about.  This evening a belted kingfisher
was back on the wires at East LaHave and two greater yellowlegs were
foraging at First South.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Add the Windows Live Messenger NHL Stats Agent to your buddy list and get
your stats fix instantly http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/NHL/NHL_Stats_Agent