[NatureNS] Fiddleheads

Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 21:10:14 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi Roland & All,            May 2, 2007
    South of a line drawn between Digby and Canso it is very rare. North
of this line they are by no means common but scattered or locally
abundant in areas that are subject to flooding.

    Based on vague memory of similar distribution patterns, i.e. mostly
north or mostly south of this line, (_Potamogeton_/bedrock; 52 years
ago) it is probably largely bedrock and thus soil related.

    Fiddleheads sometimes have a bitter aftertaste. Most of this
bitterness is removed if a raw potato is diced to 1-cm cubes, boiled
with the ferns and then discarded.
Yt, DW