[NatureNS] Palm warblers galore

From: "James Hirtle" <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:42:03 +0000

I started out today with plans to make a jaunt into my breeding bird square.
  Looking at how cool it was I decided to change my plans.  I made the
decision to go trout fishing instead and went to Rhodes Corner.  The lake
was picture perfect calm and was loaded with insects.  On the way in I could
hear yellow-rumped warblers, ruby-crowned kinglets, red-breasted nuthatches
and various other species.  I thought good, maybe I'll get to see a palm
warbler or two.  Boy was I surprised, as I reached the lake edge and looked
at the vegetation and trees along the side.  This growth was alive with
warblers and when I was walking along the road beside the lake warblers were
hopping out of the way everywhere that I looked and taking to the low
vegetation.  I did not have my binoculars, but those that I saw with clarity
I tried to count.  Those that I saw were comprised of 45 palm warblers and
30 yellow-rumped warblers.  Also with the group were about four black-capped
chickadees, seven golden-crowned kinglets, at least three ruby-crowned
kinglets (probably more, but I only counted what I heard vocalizing).  I saw
one clearly to.  There were also red-breasted nuthatches, a downy
woodpecker, three tree swallows, four ring-necked ducks, two mallards, a
red-winged blackbird, common grackles, a northern flicker vocalizing, a
common snipe winnowing, American crows, a common raven, white-throated
sparrows, American robins, and I heard evening grosbeaks.  I think that I
spent as much time watching birds as I did fishing.

I forgot to mention that about a week ago I heard and observed an American
robin immitating the call of a dark-eyed junco.  I have no idea what that
was about or have never heard of a robin immitating other birds before.

Other birds of interest today were ospreys back at most locations now where
one would expect to see them.  A greater yellowlegs at Bayport and two at
Conrad's Island Beach, Lower Rose Bay.

James R. Hirtle
Dublin Shore

Win a webcam! Nominate your friend’s Windows Live Space in the Windows Live
Spaces Sweetest Space Contest and you both could win!
http://www.microsoft.com/canada/home/contests/sweetestspace/default.aspx