[NatureNS] Fishing activity

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 14:45:44 -0300

Near shore fishing certainly has a dramatic effect on bird activities. I
visited Port George and Cottage Cove on Tuesday and there was quite a number
of species and individuals in the whole area. Today, I had to leave the
house in a hurry because prospective buyers wanted to view it, so I paid the
area another visit. The whole of Cottage Cove is now heavily netted and
there wasn't a bird in sight despite the better than average viewing
conditions. I had to go right up to the lighthouse before finding anything.
Both visits were in the morning at roughly the same stage of high tide.

Tuesday 24 April:-
PORT GEORGE AND COTTAGE COVE
103 Common Eiders  - 19 Long tailed ducks - 13 Harlequin Ducks - 6 Common
Loons - 5 Northern Gannets - 2 Horned Grebes - 2 Red Throated Loons - 3
White winged Scoters - 1 Common Merganser - 13 Purple Sandpipers - 2 male
Ring necked Pheasants - 1 DC Cormorant

MARGARETVILLE D.U.
2 Ring necked Ducks - 4 Hooded Mergansers - 8 Black Ducks - 2 Mallard - 2
Wood Ducks

MARGARETVILLE
5 Black Guillemots - 15 Common Eiders - 2 Common Mergansers - 2 Common Loons
and a White winged Scoter.

Friday 27 April:-
PORT GEORGE ONLY
31 Common Eiders - 12 Harlequin Ducks - 6 Common Loons - 3 DC Cormorants -
15 WW Scoters - 3 Black Scoters - 40 Purple Sandpipers (I rarely see this
many).

MARGARETVILLE D.U.
6 Hooded Mergansers (most probably 8!) - 4 Ring Necked Ducks - 4 Red winged
blackbirds - 8 Black Ducks - 2 Mallard
I also received my first mosquito bites of the year!

VICTORIA VALE
2 Canada Geese - 2 Black Ducks.
As yet, no Herons, Kingfishers, Swallows or Warblers.

John Belbin - Kingston