[NatureNS] re Nereis/Neanthes virens worms at Blomidon -- Re: Help with ID?

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:05:12 -0300
From: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Cc: Mike Dadswell <mike.dadswell@acadiau.ca>

Thanks, Mike.  Regarding the Neanthes/Nereis polychaete worms found at Cape
----------
From: Mike Dadswell <mike.dadswell@acadiau.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:08:58 -0300
To: Jim Wolford <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Subject: Re: Nereis/Neanthes virens worms at Blomidon -- Re: Help with ID?
aquatic creature (photos)

Jim
   Yes, Nereids spawn in spring.  For proper ID would need to have
in hand.  There are about 10 different species of "sand worm" or
"rag worm" or "clam worm" in the Bay of Fundy and Minas Basin.
30cm is about an average adult.  Some can get to 90-100cm long (I
have seen that size on mud flats in St. Andrews, NB).  If you have
them or not look up descriptions in Appy et al 1980.  Both Glenys
and I have a copy.

Mike