[NatureNS] Re: Help with ID? aquatic creature (photos)

Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:42:08 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

cl
------=_Part_101740_31355249.1177360928536

I've never heard of them called ragworms around here, "clamworm" seems to be
the common name most heard. These are Annelid worms, as are earthworms and
leeches, but all three of these are in different groups (united by their
multi-segmented bodies = the segments are annuli). Clamworms are Polychaete
annelids, earthworms are Oligochaete annelids and leeches are annelids of
the Hirundinea. Yum!

On 23/04/07, Peter de Wit <peterdewit@gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone on another forum pointed out this may be a "ragworm", reading the
> description on the link below seems to follow suit, including ferrtilizing
> eggs.
>
> http://www.theseashore.org.uk/theseashore/SpeciesPages/Ragworms.html
>
> If anyone can confirm, deny or add to this, would be appreciated.
>
> - Peter
>

> On 4/23/07, Peter de Wit <peterdewit@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Two of these were found in a tidal pool at Blomidon today (April
> > 23rd).   Both were approx 20 to 30 centimeters long, though hard to gauge as
> > they tended not to straighten out. blue/green in colour. They were very
> > activate, constantly moving around however they didn't appear to be leaving
> > the immediate area, and they did not come too close to eachother.    Both
> > were emitting a creamy substance from their backends, there was quite a bit
> > of it collected in the pool they were in, perhaps fertilizing eggs?  no eggs
> > were seen.
> >
> > Photos  (click "all sizes" for larger view)
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterdewit/470076637/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterdewit/470061762/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterdewit/470076853/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterdewit/470061990/