[NatureNS] Merlin nest -Wolfville, mayflowers, peepers

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Cc: "Jim Wolford " <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:55:44 -0300

Apr 21/ 07:

A pair of Merlins have set up 'house'  again in Wolfville near the Acadia
Univ campus, in a group of spruce trees between Wallace Place and Bay Ave
(off Highland Ave).  Probably using the same old nest site from last year
near the top of the tallest of the spruces. There was much calling and alarm
notes around 11.00-11.30 a.m. due to the harassment from at least one
persistent crow (it was chased away by both Merlins from the trees) and a
pair of Blue Jays who refused to go quietly!!

Mayflowers are in bloom in the Harriet Irving Botanical Garden at Acadia
University this morning.

Apr 20 / 07

I forgot to mention I heard spring peepers at Saxon St Pond yesterday (Apr
20) and that Jean Timpa and I believe we heard one calling rather
pathetically last Sunday, Apr 15, but were not quite sure at the time that
it was a peeper.
One C Snipe and 1+ Killdeer, and 22+ Grn-w. Teal are still feeding there.
Water level has increased somewhat to the extent exposed mudflat left for
feeders is getting limited

Apr 12 / 07

Further to Jim Wolford's mention of honeybees, I saw my first one among the
carpet of crocuses outside the Wolfville Medical Clinic in early afternoon.
In spite of diligent searching for others it was the only one I could find.
Impressive to see even one busy little bee in such cool temps.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts

     Wolfville