[NatureNS] Honeybees: was nature notes: coltsfoot, rat, cardinals, no honeybees, fox sparrows, barred owl eggs in boxes

Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 17:26:51 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Jim Wolford wrote:

>Apr. 15, 2007 -
>
>In a large bed of multi-coloured open CROCUS flowers close to the Wolfville
>Community Health Clinic, we saw NO HONEYBEES at all working the flowers;
>perhaps this is related to the general shortage this Spring of honeybees
>through many U.S. states and also in Canada?

Hi Jim & All,            Apr 20, 2007
    A few days and higher temperature makes all the difference. When I
came back from a chainsaw workout at about 2:45 today I could hear bees
in the late Crocus patch from 20' away. And my hearing is poor.

    In this ~ 3m x 4 m area, where I have let Snowdrops, Crocus and
Vinca go wild, there were an estimated 2,000 bees. I have never seen
them this dense or active on Crocus.

Yt, DW, Kentville