[NatureNS] late reports of N Shrike and Short-eared Ow l - Kings Co.

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 21:51:52 -0300

Apr 17 / 07 - Kings Co.

A friend from Chipman Corner, east of Kentville, reported seeing a Northern
Shrike come diving in to his feeders a week ago, knock a small bird off the
feeder - he thought either junco or goldfinch - followed it to the ground,
attacked it again before carrying it off to some trees away from sight.

Bob also reports having seen a single Short-eared Owl along the Canard River
(east of Middle Dyke Rd) in January while walking with his Black Lab. He
usually enjoys one or two sightings of these owls each winter while
exercising his dog.

Sun, Apr 15:

In the morning I found an in-active large garden worm lying on snow (6"
deep) on our Wolfville Ridge property, quite a way from any garden bed.  One
had to wonder what drew the worm to leave its earthly home as the air was
still nippy and just below freezing. [Today Apr 17, after all the rain and
warmth, of course, there is patchy snow, and all sorts of worms lying on our
driveway].

In the afternoon, Jean Timpa and I went out to check for any corvid/raptor
activity in our Atlas Sq., and to visit some local ponds, but were most
disappointed to find the afternoon very quiet for birds.  Even robins,
Grackles and Red-wing Blackbirds and crows  were scarce!  We only noted 4
Red-tail Hawks, with one sitting on the same nest where there was activity
last year, nr Kingsport. Also noted the Bald Eagle sitting on the nest in
the Muskrat Farm area, nr Jawbone Cnr.

A pair of Canada Geese were cruising Van Nostrand's pond (breeding pair?).
Around Canning and the Canning Aboiteau there were flocks of Canada Geese,
but hard to get an accurate number as many were milling around the Habitant
River with all its hidden bends. We counted over 200 but felt there were
probably many more. At Kingsport, there were 9 Scoters off shore ( they
appeared to be Black Scoters but were rather distant), plus a few Black
Ducks.

We too saw 2 Killdeer at Saxon St Pond (that Elizabeth Doull reported
earlier) and heard another pair's interaction from the farm field to the
west (part of Sheffield Farm?) but were not lucky enough to note any Snipe
(although I found five there the other day), along with 25+ Grn-w. Teals.
Water level was up a little more, still leaving some expanse of mud flat
exposure but this is getting patchy.  Also heard a Bald Eagle calling in the
vicinity.  At Canard Pond, there was hardly a duck to be seen though we did
spot a male N Pintail in the back section with a few Mallards and Blacks.

Cheers
Judy Tufts

   Judy  Tufts

     Wolfville