[NatureNS] Lorne Owl route

From: "Ken McKenna" <kenmcken@pchg.net>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 22:46:03 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_03DD_01C78079.02FBE810

Ken McKenna
Box 218 Stellarton NS
B0K 1S0
902 752-7644
kenmcken@pchg.net

Hi all

Last night ( April15) was a perfect night for doing an owl survey -in =
Pictou Co. anyway.  Rick Ferguson and Charlie Kendell joined me do the =
Lorne survey with a star-lit sky and no wind. You could hear the wings =
of the owls clip the branches of trees as they flew in. Our first bird =
was a Canada Goose that seems to fly into the nearby mill dam every year =
at dusk. Rick flushed a Woodcock from a ditch, but otherwise we had no =
Woodcock, Snipe or frogs of any sort on the route. We heard coyotes at 3 =
stops.=20
    For owls, at stop 2 an unidentified bird flew into a roadside tree =
after the second Barred Owl (BARR) call.It made no sound other than =
clipping the branch as it landed. We were not able to get a light on it. =
I am not sure if this is countable as an unid'd owl. I think I will just =
report it in the comments column.=20
Stop 3 was a thriller. As well pulled up to stop there was a sound like =
a little dog giving 4 yaps. We thought this weird as were not close to a =
house. As we played the survey tape, 2 BARRs called in the silent 2 =
minutes and continued for the rest of the stop. The "yapp" sound was =
repeated sounding a little duck-like more of a "quack" sound. I then =
suspected this was neither duck or dog but quite possibly a Long-eared =
Owl (LEOW).  I have heard LEOW only a couple of times before  - one was =
the single hoot call from Brier I. and the other was a youngster in a =
neighbouring county. I had not had a LEOW from Pictou Co. A third BARR =
started to call after the 1st BARR call on the tape.  After the stop was =
over we tried the training tape to see if the "yap- quack" belonged to a =
LEOW. Although there was no movement from the area where the sound was =
coming from , I feel this was indeed a Long-eared- the first I have had =
since I started the surveys. While making notes at that stop a Saw-whet =
started to call and a Great-horned called not far from the LEOW sound.   =
WOW! 4 species of owl at one stop although only 2 were in the count =
protocol period.=20
At stop 5 a Saw-whet started to call after the first BARR call on tape. =
Stop 6 brought 2 BARR to the roadside one of which Rick was able to find =
in a dense conifer with a flashlight. At stop 10 a Great Horned Owl =
called a couple of times started in the second silent minute.=20
It was a special night with 5 Barred Owls, 1 Saw-whet, 1 Great Horned =
Owl and 1 Long-eared Owl in the count as well as 1 each of Saw-whet and =
Great Horned Owl outside the count time.  Arriving back home at midnight =
we all had big smiles after hearing the variety of owls that evening.
I compared noted with Steve Vines who had a similar sounding LEOW last =
year in the Eden L. area. His bird produced a similar sound -4 yaps =
sounding very dog-like repeated at regular intervals. Anyone else have =
experience with the sound of LEOWs?=20

cheers
Ken

------=_NextPart_000_03DD_01C78079.02FBE810

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Ken McKenna<BR>Box 218 Stellarton =
NS<BR>B0K=20
1S0<BR>902 752-7644<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kenmcken@pchg.net">kenmcken@pchg.net</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi all</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Last night ( April15) was a perfect =
night for doing=20
an owl survey -in Pictou Co. anyway.&nbsp; Rick Ferguson and Charlie =
Kendell=20
joined me do the Lorne survey with a star-lit sky and no wind. You could =
hear=20
the wings of the owls clip the branches of trees as they flew in. Our =
first bird=20
was a Canada Goose that seems to fly into the nearby mill dam every year =
at=20
dusk. Rick flushed a Woodcock from a ditch, but otherwise we had no =
Woodcock,=20
Snipe or frogs of any sort on the route. We heard coyotes at 3 stops.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; For owls, at stop 2 =
an=20
unidentified bird flew into a roadside tree after the second Barred=20
Owl&nbsp;(BARR) call.It made no sound other than clipping the branch as =
it=20
landed. We were not able to get a light on it. I am not sure if this is=20
countable as an unid'd owl. I think I will just report it in the =
comments=20
column. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Stop 3 was a thriller. As well pulled =
up to stop=20
there was a sound like a little dog giving 4 yaps. We thought this weird =
as were=20
not close to a house. As we played the survey tape, 2 BARRs called in =
the silent=20
2 minutes and continued for the rest of the stop. The "yapp" sound was =
repeated=20
sounding a little duck-like more of&nbsp;a "quack" sound. I then =
suspected this=20
was neither duck or dog but quite possibly a Long-eared Owl =
(LEOW).&nbsp; I have=20
heard LEOW only a couple of times before&nbsp; - one was the single hoot =

call&nbsp;from Brier I.&nbsp;and the other was a youngster in a =
neighbouring=20
county. I had not had a LEOW from Pictou Co. A third BARR started to =
call after=20
the 1st BARR call on the tape.&nbsp; After the stop was over we tried =
the=20
training tape to see if the "yap- quack" belonged to a LEOW. Although =
there was=20
no movement from the area where the sound was coming from , I feel this =
was=20
indeed a Long-eared- the first I have had since I started the surveys. =
While=20
making notes at that stop a Saw-whet started to call and a Great-horned =
called=20
not far from the LEOW sound.&nbsp;&nbsp; WOW! 4 species of owl at one =
stop=20
although only 2 were in the count protocol period. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>At stop 5 a Saw-whet started to call =
after the=20
first BARR call on tape. Stop 6 brought 2 BARR to the roadside one of =
which Rick=20
was able to find in a dense conifer with a flashlight. At stop 10 a =
Great Horned=20
Owl called a couple of times started in the second silent minute. =
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It was a special night with 5 Barred =
Owls, 1=20
Saw-whet, 1 Great Horned Owl and 1 Long-eared Owl in the count as well =
as 1 each=20
of Saw-whet and Great Horned Owl outside the count time. &nbsp;Arriving =
back=20
home at midnight we all had big smiles after hearing the variety of owls =
that=20
evening.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><F